Thursday, May 3, 2012

Suspended Tree House, (deck)

Here is my Prototype Hanging Tree House Anchoring system
The reason for this type of system is so that the tree can move freely
also there is very little or no damage at all to the cambium layer of the tree.

                                         Here is where I slept while finishing the tree 'deck'.

                                                      Here it is with the railing on


               Here is an overhead shot, with my cotton hammock made in Merida, mayan style

                                     Here is a close up of the anchoring system, and the 'well'

Here is an underside shot of my 'Hanging Tree Deck'

Here is the deck with sealer on it, ready for winter.
I built this tree house deck in northern California. Anyone interested in having one of these built please contact me at  prioritytree@gmail.com

Materials used,  Con-hart Redwood for the deck and rails, Pressure treated wood (Douglas Fir) for the underside beams and joists.

The bolts are screwed into the tree, pre drilled holes of course, 6" shaft with the last 4" threaded. 
They are 3/4" Forged Eye Bolts. 9" overall length, 6" shaft. They are made in America by Crosby Group, they are made for crane work and heavy construction. They where 30 bucks each.
 They are rated at 7,700 lbs work load rating, each for a straight pull, I am loading some of them at 45 deg or more so it is reduced quite a bit, like 30% so I have about a 2000 lb. safe working load. But they are made for use with equipment where they are going to be shock (dynamic) loading all the stuff, like lifting shipping containers with a crane, so for my use I think they are sufficient.
  There will be no dynamic loading everything is static and the whole deck weighs less than 1000 lbs, (I had the lumber weighed) and I have 4 anchor points. Double backed up, with grade 70 chain 4,700 lb wll, for the suspension. 
The chain shackles are 3000 lb. wll (15,000 lb. breaking strength) rated, made in  US by Crosby. I had to pay alot for all the hardware. It is getting hard to find American made steel parts anymore. Some of the made in China stuff has way way lower wll ratings. I don't trust them as much either, I was in one hardware store and they had some chain shackles made in China and they had no WLL rating stamped on them, guess they can't depend on their industry standards.

Note:  WLL (work load rating) is usually one fifth of breaking strength, so a 10,000 lb. breaking strength bolt will have a work load rating of 2,000 lbs, so the hardware will have a stamp or tag on it saying WLL 2000 lb.

Anyone interested in having one of these built please contact me at  prioritytree@gmail.com
I am in Northern California.

No comments: